Thursday, March 3, 2011

Community Media

The author of this article believes that the idea of Democracy is not a concept, goal, or ideal, and that it is not something that can ever be reached. Within representative democracy the media is the center of it all because it enables people to practice democracy. The article gave specific examples of media such as the Women's radio station in Nepal, where they are now able to express themselves in a society that is dominated by men, and Zoom Black Magic Radio station that was based out of Fresno, California and was once a black-oriented station. The article discusses how community media is always democratic media, because it allows for  the individual and the community to be represented. I found it very interesting reading the statistic about how 44% of people who used the Internet in the U.S. in 2003 created some type of Internet contact that was either self-expression or representative of something. I agree that technology and the Internet as we know it today is a way for people to produce media as opposed to having to use a professional medium such as a radio station or news program. I really enjoyed reading the part about the "don't hate the media, make the media" because this makes a lot of sense to me. I occasionally find myself complaining about specific parts of the media without really taking the time to think about how I can be part of the media if I choose. If there are places where the media is being controlled by nondemocratic governments, it only makes matters worse for people who have so much to say to not represent for themselves or their community.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cat! Sorry about my deleted comment, there were a few errors in it :P

    I love your statement "If there are places where the media is being controlled by nondemocratic governments, it only makes matters worse for people who have so much to say..." Why? Because it is so true! In response to your statement, I feel obligated to mention Tunisia and Egypt (as I do often). Prior to the uprisings in these countries, the governments of Tunisia and Egypt suppressed the views and desires of their people for many years. These people were not able to represent themselves and their political views in a powerful and effective way. This changed with the arrival of new media. When Tunisians and Egyptians realized that both Facebook and Twitter could be utilized to establish a form of community media, they created social change by convening and discussing current political issues. Look at the devastating effects that political underrepresentation have had on the citizens of Tunisia and Egypt. These examples demonstrate the power of community media.

    Also, you mention the women's radio station of Nepal in your post. I would like to relate this form of community media to the Environmental Movement. Isn't it crazy how fast Environmentalism has become mainstream? Personally, I would like to thank the few environmental groups and authors of the 1960's that came together and created/built upon environmental community media. Can you imagine what life would be like if community media concerning environmentalism did not exist or was not mainstream?

    Jay from the Bay

    ReplyDelete