Friday, March 25, 2011

From Computer Power and Human Reason

This was a fascinating article. I can't say I am surprised that the

ELIZA program that became known as DOCTOR had the effect that it

did on people. When you look around today we see so many people

looking for advice in books and magazines and they have no idea who

wrote the information. In these instances we can usually rely on the

fact that a human came up with the information( even though that's not

saying that it's helpful or reliable information). In the case of a

computer playing human, there are so many possible things that could go

wrong. Like it is highlighted in the article the context of our language is

key in communication, and as Weizenbaum mentions, there are things

that a computer should not be programmed to do. I like the fact that

he continues to point out the aspect of computer still being computers

regardless of what they are used for. Meaning, we can create a

program to give therapy to someone, but this therapy is still computed.

I also really like how Weizenbaum mentioned the fact that arts used to

be a source for humans to gain understanding and intellectual

nourishment but that science was becoming the sole form of

understanding (Weizenbaum). One interesting thing I thought about

while reading this article is that technology is becoming such a common

part of our daily lives that many people look to the computer for their

answers to everything. I find myself typing in questions some times

rather than asking a friend, or a teacher, or someone who may also

know the answer.

1 comment:

  1. You made an interesting point that humans have looked to books for advice and answers, myself included, so why not look to a computer 'doctor' I actually have used programs that 'predict' answers for you, much like an eight ball. I really am horrible at making critical decisions for fear it's the wrong one, so I actually took the advice of the computer program. This sounds silly, but I'd actually use this doctor program because if a human programed it, and it's as knowledgable or more, than a human, why not? We look at a doctor and think, they got a phd so I will trust them. Since I was 16 the doctor told me I was allergic to alcohol, after numerous tests and ten years later it's just anxiety and nerves. Also, just because a computer gives us advice we shouldnt trust it, we should use our intuition and in a sense take a sample of information, to get a better answer to our problem.

    ReplyDelete