Williams discusses technology and society and cause and effect. He
uses specific statements such as "television has altered our world"
in his analysis of Versions of Cause and Effect in Technology and
Society. He brings several different statements that all have one
thing in common-that they believe that television has altered the
world. This is true because television came before the use of
personal computers for news and entertainment. I know many people who
do not watch tv anymore because they choose other media to get their
information from, but if this other media were to disappear I think
many people would go back to watching more television. He identifies
the first class of opinion as technological determinism which he
states as a viewpoint regarding the nature of social change. He
explains the second class of opinion to be in contrast with the first
and considers technologies to be symptoms of other change. The
article then goes on to discuss how these two opinions are the cause
of a debate in regard to our thinking about technology and society.
The history of television is discussed as well as it's similarity and
difference to radio and cinema. I found this article to be very
interesting because there in personal experience I have heard many
people speak about how television is the cause of many problems as
well as it's effects on people, yet I do not hear much about the
debate behind it all. When we analyze it from the perspective of
television being a medium like anything else that technology helps
create, we then see how there are several forms of new media that most
people are using today for exactly what television was used for then.
I couldn’t agree more that television has altered our society. I wrote on the same topic for my blog this week also. I grew up watching television, which is sad to say, but true. Now when I think about it, I could have enjoyed more of the sun than I did. Now television has adapted to our culture by providing all sorts of shows to please our needs. If you think about it there is a show for everything. Reality television, educational television, tv for redecorating, and regular shows for entertainment. Its like you don’t have to leave your house-you can see everything on your tv. Its interesting to see how our generation is glued to the television-almost hard to stomach for me.
ReplyDelete