Saturday, April 30, 2011

New Media Article


 http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/how-to-treat-facebook-and-twitter-like-your-kids/48027?tag=content;search-results-rivers

In this article writer Jason Hiner makes an analogy between social media and parental favoritism amongst siblings. I thought this was an interesting article because it is explaining his reasons for deactivating the cross-posting that Twitter and Facebook allow. Many of you are probably aware at this point that a person can connect the two sites so that one is producing a live feed onto the other. I think that this convergence of all social media being used may work for some people who are trying to get out a certain amount of information at a faster speed. An example of this is someone who has a certain audience following them on Twitter, meanwhile they keep their Facebook for close friends and family. There still may be information that they want both audiences to know about. The problem of not wanting specific information transferring from one network to the other could possibly be solved with an option for each post on whether the person wants it to show up on more than one site. I don't have a Twitter account so this may already be possible. I thought it was also interesting that this article mentions to keep in mind the strengths and weaknesses of the social networks you are using in effort to use them in a way that works best for you. At the moment I only have a Facebook account, but I have often that for businesses and entrepreneurs Twitter would be a great way to get a lot of information out several times as opposed to Facebook which I see more for personal use.

No comments:

Post a Comment