Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Be Who You Want to Be

I found this article to be very interesting because it shed some light on a whole new meaning behind the term "Be Who You Want To Be". In the past I have always thought about the side of this term that pertains to a person's ability to become who they want in life through their actions and effort. I would imagine myself working hard, or in some cases just getting lucky (e.g. winning the lotto, opening a successful business, etc.) in order to find my position in life. This article connects people and their current use of Facebook with George Herbert Mead's perspective of "Me and "I" in regard to our communicative identity.. People are choosing to select their "me" to represent their "I" which is themselves. The article mentions the fact that many people view Facebook as a person's true identity, but this is not really the case because people can alter their image in many ways by choosing what information they want to display for others to view them. There was the example of the wedding pictures which portray a woman as being married, which is viewed upon by our society as something that women feel pressure about. I found this article to be very useful because there is information on a different angle of Facebook and the way we identify ourselves and communicate with others. Communication is a relevant and important aspect of our everyday lives, and Facebook is now a place where many people are making the choice of how they want others to view them as well as how they choose to view others and the media

2 comments:

  1. Cat,

    Once you read "Be Who You Want To Be" did you consider changing anything on your facebook, or did you become more aware of how you portray yourself to others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you ask that question because I actually deleted my FB over a year ago, and just recently(today)created a new one for this course. It was really fun this time around because I felt like I was only creating the page for myself because I don't plan on really adding nearly half the people I did the first time around. I had a lot of fun filling in my interests and information about myself. I like looking at the page now because it is not about trying to have this image for others, but really just a fun page to see all my likes, interests, accomplishments, etc. What about you?

    ReplyDelete