Saturday, February 19, 2011

Week 4: Question 3

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/02/18/will.wright/index.html

I found this article to be really interesting especially after reading The Medium IS the Message. Will Wright, the creator of The Sims and Sims City was quoted saying that games are not the right medium to tell stories and he went on to explain how video games are about story possibilities are should be left open-ended like the games he creates. When someone is playing games like Sim City they are able create their own little virtual reality in different settings like cities, farms, or suburban neighborhoods. I never really thought about this before, but video games are not exactly the best way to get a message across because many of them are designed to allow the gamer to do what they want. Even controversial video games like Grant Theft Auto, which was also mentioned in this article, are designed to let the gamer experience many different situations throughout the game. This had me thinking a lot thought about how games are still created and designed by people who ultimately have the power to limit or extend what occurs in the game. Once the game is written there may seem to be endless possibilities for the user, but there are still limits within the game structure that will not change simply because the input devices are being controlled by the user. It reminds me of the movie TRON legacy where fiction makes anything possible. In this movie the user is able to break into the game system and live within that world. I do agree that messages will not likely be sent through video games simply because the users are more likely to be concerned with winning and/or the simulation that the game provides rather than interpreting hidden meanings or messages.

1 comment:

  1. This was instantly interesting to read because you noted how the creator of the Sims says games are not the right medium for storytelling. Well isn’t the Sims storytelling? Honestly I am not all that into games, but I can definitely see why people can be. They do somewhat create a story for people to follow along, however you are right that are still restrictions. I have played Grand Theft and Sims a couple of times to see what it was like and I couldn’t do certain things that I wanted to. But I guess there has to be some limitations because kids play these games also. I guess it’s that need for parental guidance that resonates in me because I work at a private school.

    ReplyDelete