Friday, February 4, 2011

Facebook pictures stolen

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/04/report-dating-site-swipes-k-facebook-profiles-permission/

The spokesperson for Facebook is currently looking into the thefts of 250K Facebook profiles that two people the article is referring to as "cyber pranksters" swiped. This article was very interesting because it proves that even when we think we are in control of our profile security there is always someone who can hack into it and take away the privacy we all think we have a right to. I only recently created a FB for school, but I still never feel like there is not an opportunity for others to see my information even when I choose to keep it only available for friends to see. I have seen ads before of people's pictures that look like they might have been stolen off of another website and used for dating websites, and other sites without the person's permission. On one side Facebook is a great place for people to stay connected with friends and family members, and on the other Facebook is an opportunity for internet trolls to go to town stealing people's photos to use however they choose.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cat,

    This is a great artical. Facebook is so popular and people put so much information and pictures on it thinking only their friends will be able to view. I agree facebook is a great place to stay connected but strongly agree facebook is an opportunity to be hacked. Poeple need to aware of this possibility and be smart with what they put on their facebook. I password and only excepting your friends does not in any way make your information safe. 250K hacked profiles is a HUGE number and hopefully will open the eyes of all facebook users.

    Great Post!

    SOUTHPAW

    ReplyDelete