Friday, March 11, 2011
Just Like Me Only Better
I found this article to be very fascinating. The study that was done involved the statistical findings of avatars that people from around the world were able to construct themselves for MUVE (virtual realities). The study found that the avatars created all resembled the Caucasian or western standard of beauty which consisted of light skin, thin nose, thin lips, etc. There was one black woman who chose an avatar that represented characteristics of her true self-identity which is overweight and black, but almost every other person in the study had selected an avatar that fit the Caucasian standard of beauty. In Germany there were some people who chose to create their female avatars with tan skin, however they were always accompanied with a thin nose, thin lips, and blond hair. Studies like this one are important because they help us analyze the reasons people are creating online versions of themselves to be what they consider the standard of beauty. The study points out that there was no surprise in regard to the hegemony that was identified in regard to the Caucasian standard of beauty. I was not surprised by this portion of the study either because it seems that many people throughout the world think the Caucasian standard of beauty is universally accepted. We live in a world where skin lightening cream is marketed as a "beauty" product and this is part of the problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I found the fact that most users of Second Life constructed their avatars to resemble a more Western standard of beauty to be interesting as well. I found this fact to be relevant to my own life too. Even though I have never used MUVE’s myself I grew up thinking that lighter skin and smaller noises were more beautiful than others. I think that this part of the article relates to this weeks other reading on “Technological Determinism” and how technology like the television and the message that is said through tv shows and media greatly effects societies social structure and cultural values.
ReplyDeleteI thought that the fact that the users made their avatars resemble the Western standard for beauty both interesting and sad. There are so many ways for someone to be beautiful that it is sad that so many people wanted to identify themselves with this one standard for beauty. I also find it funny because I know I have often looked to people of other ethnicities and thought they were much prettier than many Caucasians. I have a friend who is half Asian and half Caucasian, and I would probably consider her to be the prettiest people I know, partly because of how many of my guy friends have met her or seen her in a picture with me immediately ask about her. I think that while the Western view of beauty is prominent, we are slowly moving away from that, and appreciating other kinds of beauty.
ReplyDeleteThis article sure got me heated up. In my opinion, it is a wonder who created this standard of beauty. I mean, yes probably Caucasians but who's to say that they get to decide what is considered ideal and beautiful? It's interesting that skin lightening cream AND tanning cream are marked as beauty products. There's no winning with society. People are never satisfied and they will find at least one physical aspect that they dislike about themselves. I give kudos to the black woman who made her avatar look like herself because that means she has great self-esteem. It's all about confidence. I would want to create an avatar that looks as close as possible to how I look in reality otherwise the avatar doesn't represent me.
ReplyDeleteBy the way Sare Bear, I think half Asian and half Caucasian people are really pretty too.