Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week Six: Uses and Gratifications

This study aimed to provide an answer to the question of how do members of SNS (ex.myspace and facebook) use the sites to fulfill their wants and needs? in relation to the addiction that many people are reporting to have to these types of sites. I found this quite interesting because I know many people who are addicted to the SNS that they currently use. Many people feel that they need to constantly check their SNS for any news or updates that friends may have left them. I think this relates to humans being creatures of habit, and our habits form easily. SNS has been all the rave these last few years and what many people tend to forget is that many people still desired attention before SNS services were provided. I think that now that there are SNS services many people have become attached to this type of attention and ego satisfaction they may be receiving from online interaction. The study contains information about the origins of myspace and how indie rock bands from the los angeles area used the site to promote their bands, and then slowly teenagers began joining. These people would then tell their friends and before we knew it myspace was incredibly popular. Facebook slowly started catching up to myspace popularity and then in time became the new myspace only with their being differences in page layout, use or SNS services, etc. Many examples used in this article state that they use their online SNS for services they appreciate such as spying on classmates, catching up with friends, reading about another's engagement and so on. This is interesting because many of us are capable of finding out this information through phone services, general email account, or face to face contact yet so many people are choosing their SNS as the easier route. This study aimed to answer the question of how these types of sites were used to fulfill the wants and needs of the people who use them. The study indicated that the people are using SNS to satisfy personal desires as well as interpersonal desires. 

3 comments:

  1. I think one of the biggest features of online social networking that appeals to people is the ability to remain anonymous. We are curious creatures, yet none of us enjoy being asked a ton of questions. Despite this, users of SNS upload a great deal of personal information online – more than they would probably share with people in face-to-face situations.

    Think about it: if somebody came up to you and asked you your full name, date of birth, hometown, what city you live in, who your friends are, your relationship status, your political views, your religious views, your hobbies, and your tastes in music, you would probably feel overwhelmed and think the person is a creep. However, we willfully make this information available online so our “friends” can anonymously gain all this information about us in a matter of minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. I am referring to people who already know someone and they still choose their SNS as the best way to find something out as opposed to other forms of contact. Example: Asking their friend when their wedding is, when the baby is due, and so on. This wasn't me saying I think one way is better than the other. I was just commenting on how it is interesting. I prefer talking to my friends on the phone or in person, but I can understand how some people prefer internet in regard to strangers or business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way. I have a few shy friends who don't talk much in person, but are quite eloquent when we talk online.

    ReplyDelete